I'd like to ask God why He lets poverty and injustice exist, why there are so many orphans and why He does nothing about it, but I am afraid He would ask me the same question.
I've been following several international adoptions in progress through blogs. One of these blogs had a post about The Others (the children who were going to be left in the orphanage when they take their little girl home). Another had the quote above. And yet another chat group that I'm on discussed responsibility to orphans. Reading all of this has really made me think about the verse of scripture James 1:27 and how or whether I am living "pure religion" as defined in this verse.
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
There are so many things wrong with the world, but I think one of the saddest, most heart-wrenching situations is a child no parents(or grandparents/close family members) to call their own. Reading the post from the adoptive mom about the other kids in the orphanage reminded me of all the children who were in Kirill's baby house and hoping that they would all find a home. The staggering number of orphans world wide is astounding and while I can't save everyone, I feel that I should be doing more to help even one. I'm not saying that I'm ready to adopt again, I believe that I need to take care of my five children and give them the attention and love they need, but I feel I should do something to help. Maybe I could donate a small amount to a different family each month who is trying to adopt, maybe I could send support to an orphanage or help a child in poverty go to school. There are so many ways to help. Anyone out there have a favorite cause to suggest?
Liisa, this is awesome. Sarah and I are in the process of setting up a foundation that will help fund adoptions. We know it is so expensive and while we have been blessed with the means to do so, we know that so many others would like to, but can't due to the costs. The plan is to make 0% interest loans to couples wanting to adopt and with their repayment of the loans create a perpetual fund that grows and continues to help others for decades to come. We also plan on dedicating a scholarship to birthmothers that would like to continue their education. It is still in the infant stage, but I am meeting with our attorneys again in two days. I will keep you posted. You guys rock!
ReplyDeleteAlso, the agency you got us in touch with has an orphanage in Guatemala. We donate there. I know we ended up getting scammed by the girl they placed us with, but I don't fault them for that. They were a pleasure to work with and I know their orphanage needs help.
ReplyDelete